Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Busy Weekend for My Kitchen

This weekend we had a few fun things to do. Saturday was a BBQ and Sunday I spent the day with my BFF. Also, on weekends we like to have muffins for breakfast and in an effort to be a little bit more health conscious I decided to make some from scratch {YUM}. Needless to say my muffin pans got A LOT of use this weekend.

Saturday started out with Banana Crumb Muffins. So good. I don't think I ever want to buy boxed muffin mix again. My only issue with this recipe is the 1 stick (or half a cup) of butter/margarine. A little greasy. I'm going to make them again but replace the butter/margarine with apple sauce. I know that's what you do in recipes with Weight Watchers to make them healthier so I'm hoping it's just as good with this recipe.

Banana Crumb Muffins
Next on the agenda was Pina Colada Cupcakes. These are surprisingly not that unhealthy and they were a hit at the BBQ {and with my husband but he seems to like everything I make so I don't know if we should count his comments}.
Pina Colada Cupcakes
To decorate them I cut a paper straw in quarters {I found my straws at Paper-Source}. Then I added an umbrella with a cherry and piece of pineapple on it. They looked super cute and were very easy to decorate. They look good even if you don't decorate them.

Pina Colada Cupcakes
Of course, I wanted to make sure there was enough dessert for everyone so I also made a family favorite Triple Chocolate Cake {I'll post the recipe later this week}. This cake is to die for. This quote is from my friends boyfriend {the couple that hosted the BBQ}. After the party was over he came and said to her "Who made that chocolate cake? I just ate four pieces. We HAVE to make sure we wrap it up so it's good tomorrow." It made me laugh. Plus, it's a super easy recipe.

Triple Chocolate Cake
Today my friend and I celebrated her soon-to-be 29th! I made her Raspberry-Kissed Lemonade Cupcakes. I do have one suggestion on this one, be careful with the lemonade mix. My cupcakes were way to sweet/sugary, mainly the frosting.

Raspberry-Kissed Lemonade Cupcakes
I also made guacamole for today because we have tried guacamole at numerous restaurants {even authentic Mexican restaurants} and there has been no guacamole that compares to what we had in Mexico. This recipe was great and came pretty close to the Mexican version we love. Side note: I did not add the cayenne pepper that is optional with this recipe. Also, I know that the fresh lime juice is really what made this guac good.

Guacamole
For now, the kitchen is closed! I hope you had a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I think those Pina Colada cupcakes are going to make an appearance at a 4th of July party I'm attending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Just remember to bring some wet wipes. They are a little sticky.

    ReplyDelete